If there were a few things I would tell my younger self this would be it. Self, are you listening?
- You’re not the only one. You may feel alone in your lot in life but you aren’t. Everybody has insecurities and issues in their life they don’t want anyone to know about. You don’t have to feel isolated or ashamed about it. Someday you will realize that what makes you different is your strength not your weakness.
- Never say never. God has a funny way of turning the tables on you when you put a finite reality to what will or will not happen to you in life, and most of the time He humbles you out of your stubborn ideas or beliefs. Don’t be so cocky.
- Listen to that small voice inside your head that tells you something is amiss. There is, and you should be concerned about it. Quit ignoring that voice or second guessing yourself. Stop a moment and look around. If you take that small moment you’ll see what it is. Then do what you can to make the situation better. It will save you some grief.
- Wake up to the world around you and pay more attention to the details. Your head is always in the clouds, pull it out of the fog once in awhile so you can experience life as it’s happening, instead of trying to avoid it so much. There’s so much life around you. Be a part of it.
- Learn to love food more. Try different things. It will open up a whole new world for you.
- Work on your communication skills. I get it, you’re an introvert. However, this will come in handy later in life when you actually want to be around others but you are incredibly uncomfortable in social situations. You need to be able to put a couple of sentences together that make sense when your nerves take over. Trust me, you have something worthy to add to the conversation. People pay more attention, too, when you’re confident instead of awkward.
- Let others take pictures of you! Quit being so self-conscious. Who cares if it’s a bad-hair day. You’ll be glad to have some reminder of what your youth looked like once you are older.
- Kiss the boy. Just do it.
- Don’t take things so personally. Really. You don’t have to be offended by everything. Most of the time it’s just the world getting on with their life. They aren’t really looking at you, they’re paying attention to themselves. Get. Over. Your. Insecurity!
- That time you got drunk ’cause everyone else was and you wanted to fit in. In the end you didn’t fit in after all. So don’t. Just don’t.